What better way to hop back in to blogging than to share a few of my current fav things!!!
LILY’S REVENGE presented by Southern Rep
My friend Samantha told me she was in a play. She described it as “it focuses on the flowers at a wedding”. I was intrigued and interested and said of course I’d come! Then she told me something I was sure I’d misheard. She shared the play was five hours long! She went on to say that Pamela Davis Nolan (the person who inspired me to do “Hip Hop Is Alive”) was directing and that Lauren Chanel and Fari, two girls I’ve come to really like, were in the play as well. I was in…skeptically. On Wednesday I went to the preview show. I was still pretty hesitant and then the master of ceremony announced he wanted us to turn off our phones for the first three acts…equivalent to three hours! As you can imagine, I was feeling “some kind of way”!
But five minutes into the first act I was hooked! I was also pleasantly surprised to see Emilie, the program director for the Fringe Festival, was playing “Time” a prominent character in the show. The first act was as expected – it set up the story and defined the conflict…and it captured me with the lure no woman can resist – a wedding! The show promised a wedding “might” happen before the end of the show and the idea of a potential wedding was enough to keep me in my seat! After the first act we took an intermission and upon entering the second act we were led to another set inside of the Den of Muses. This act introduced the flowers, a lovely collective of women of color representing a wide variety of beautiful flowers. The act was amusing as each flower embodied a famous femme – the poppy flower was Nikki Minaj’ish; the rose Donna Summer and the tulip very very Sharon Stone! It was quite a treat, especially when the garden erupted in a choreographed dance routine! Act three was the one though – at this point I was plotting my escape, not because I wasn’t enjoying the show, simply because my addiction to my phone and social networks was showing up and showing out! (Funny how I’m so attached to my phone and yet in those hours I didn’t get one single call or text but I digress…) The third act was amazing. A nightmare inside of a dream full of modern dance and a startling revealation for me about love (I won’t reveal as not to spoil). At that point, I was all in! I wasn’t even concerned with that phone anymore I just wanted to see how Lily’s story would end. Act four was a great movie and act five was an amazing merge of all the characters (over 40!) took the stage! It was an amazing night and reminded me how much I enjoy live theater and performance. The show runs this weekend and I highly recommend…I also recommend stopping at the Mardi Gras Zone store around the corner after and see if they have gumbo YUMMY!!! Tickets are avail at southernrep.com and again it is a full night of entertainment! Think of it as going to a wedding or football game. Forget the time and get lost in the world of the garden!
MIMOSAS ON MAGAZINE – POWER BRUNCH SPONSORED BY NOLA Black Professionals
I am a simple girl who enjoys simple pleasures…two of my favorite things? Brunch and listening to successful people discuss how they became successful. Tomorrow I’m going to an event that combines the two! NOLA Black Professionals (dot com) are sponsoring Mimosas on Magazine, a power brunch featuring four of the city’s top professionals of color discussing and sharing secrets to their success. The event is at Roux on Magazine and features an amazing array of great food and bottomless mimosas! Tickets are only 30 bucks! Check their site by clicking here for further info and ticket availability.
MINDY KALING BOOK
I’ve become obsessed with the comedy of Mindy Kaling. I was always a fan of her character on “The Office” THEN I found out she was was of the show’s writers. THEN I found out she was pitching her own pilot. THEN I found out the show got picked up by Fox. THEN I watched the new show and was blown away. I’m obsessed with Ms. Kaling and her great work so when I was in the airport and saw the book on the stands, I had to cop it. It is as funny as everything else she does! For great comedy relief in a paperback, I definitely suggest “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me and Other Concerns”.
AMERICAN HORROR STORY: THE ASYLUM
Last year I was blown away by “American Horror Story” but had no idea how the writers could make a season two happen in the same house where so much went down. Apparently they were a step ahead. The show is back, same actors playing all new roles in a new setting and scarier than ever! Now set in an asylum in the 60s with a backdrop of the reality of inequality, this season is off to a great start and I’m all in. And not to mention the super hot Adam Levine was the first face I saw on the premiere! I’m all in…watching via DVR in the daylight of course!
HIP HOP IS ALIVE: THE PLAY
Last year I wrote a play, “Hip Hop Is Alive“. I revamped the show and so excited to re-present it! The goal is to be accepted into other festivals (last year we were accepted into the New Orleans Fringe Festival). The first stop “on the road” is where it all began, Cafe Istanbul! We’re on this Tuesday, October 23 at 7pm. Tickets are $15 and the audience can expect a few surprises from the previous show!
This week’s five don’t need a fluffy intro…
- LESSON BEFORE LOVE – So a few months ago my friend Fresh told me about a movie her friend had made. She said she hoped to host a screening here soon. When I got the invite, I was super stoked to go – Fresh has great taste and as a creative independent producer, I always like to go see what other folk have put together. Going out to see this film last night was one of the best decisions I made all week! It was great to see people who look like me on screen in a relatable story that was well shot. It was a great experience. The filmmaker will be hosting buzz screenings across the country. Check out the site and when it comes to your town go check it out!! If its not scheduled for your city, reach out to him, I’m sure they’ll come!
- CHELS - A while ago my boy El tried to put me on to his new artist. I was busy and had just purchased Watch The Throne so wasn’t really ready to take on new music. Then one day the amazing Erykah Badu was tweeting about the same girl! Ms. Badu said Chels was a beast-one of the dopest MC’s…no disrespect to El, but when Badu said it, I HAD to hear for myself. Chels is pretty freaking dope. Her single HiiPower speaks to me-she talking bout manifesting and I’m all about that. She’s also nominated for Hottest New Artist and Hottest Female Artist at the NOLA HipHop Awards. Dope!
- Taylor v. Taylor - I love love love the blogosphere. I enjoy getting other’s perspectives on the things that move them. Attorney Ashton Taylor has started a new blog with a great concept. The lawyer will discuss issues, cases and topics from an impartial point of view presenting both sides. This is such a skill as most folk today pick a side and rock with it to the wheels fall off never considering another’s point of view. I can’t wait to read more from this one! Check it here.
- Ipod Transmitter – I’ve always wanted to be able to play my iPod in my car and since I got a 2004 that’s just not been possible. I’ve had several FM transmitters but none really worked (no I don’t have a tape player). I was telling a coworker that I was going to buy a new radio (lol or car) so I can be connected to my iPod. He told me about this transmitter he got on Amazon that really worked. He let me try it my car and it was cool. So I tried and it’s so freaking clear! And it was only $11! Good stuff!!!
- Burrito Juke Joint – It’s Friday night. I’m hungry. Don’t feel like going to a restaurant…not feeling the club…kinda wanna hang but kinda wanna be easy. Where to go?!? The Burrito Juke Joint. This cool dude name Aiji opens his yard to the masses on Friday nights and it goes DOWN! Great food, cool cocktails and some form of entertainment (film screenings, djs, etc.). Cool spot, cool people, AMAZING food. My kind of spot!
It’s been oh soooooo long and I’ve got some great things I’m digging right now. Without further ado, here’s my fave five for today FRIDAY! And thank God it is FRIDAY!!!!
- B Real Theory - I am fortunate that I have a long list of great people that have come into and out of my life over the years. Earlier this year, I took a fitness challenge on Twitter and began a cyber friendship with my friend B. We eventually met and have been hanging ever since. Brit is the kind of girl one would think I’m nothing like-we have several things NOT in common: she’s younger than me, she’s a mother and she’s a law enforcement officer. I’m older, no kids and have a general distaste for cops. But what’s amazing is that we have sooooooooo much IN common! The main thing is that we truly want what’s best for others and will do our part to make their happiness a reality. While our approach is different, our heart is the same. It’s rare to find someone so unapologetically authentic. B decided to get some of her thoughts out into the blogosphere and I love it! Click here to check her blog!
- Eiffel Society – I LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEE New Orleans! It’s an amazing city that I’m convinced I’ll call home for the rest of my life. But there are some things I miss desparately about L.A. I miss getting dressed up, having cool cocktails then going out to dance…in dressy clothes. New Orleans has so many hidden gems but it’s usually a pretty casual town. Last night I decided to meet up with some friends with no clear idea of what the night would bring. I got dressed up just because I felt like it and we met at my fav neighborhood bar. We decided to go to Eiffel Society where my friend DJ Raj Smoove was dj’ing. I had never been and was so happy! I felt like I had slipped back into L.A. mode really quickly! I love the feel of Eiffel! If you haven’t been check it out!
- The NVC Show Love Bites – As I was getting dressed for the night I was flipping channels and ran across a new show LOVE BITES. It was super cute and good! I won’t give too much info but check it out! It comes on Thursday nights and has quite a few familiar faces in some new scenarios I appreciated! Click here for more info on the show.
- Cool Kids – I’ve always been a fan of cool azz kids. My friend Tori has two cool kids that should be on TV- I swear our convos are as involved as me and Tori’s! Their father is none other than NESBY PHIPS – if you don’t know him, get to: super dope producer, rapper, director, overall artist. He cast their son Ty in his new video as the lead. Tell me that ain’t cool!
- Frank Ocean Novacane video - so you know I'm a big huge Frank Ocean fan and this week he released his video for NOVACANE. The video is different just like him. I dig it and even more so I know this means more people will get to hear his music thus we'll get more of his music!!! Peep:
WooHoo! My first FaveFive of 2011!!! How exciting! Well without further ado…
- OWN – It is pretty established how much I love Ms. Oprah Winfrey. I’ve learned so much from the Oprah Winfrey Show and The Oprah Magazine that I couldn’t begin to record a list. Now she has her own network…named OWN! How awesome is that! OWN is 24/7 cable network devoted to self-discovery, to connecting you to your best self and to the world. While my grandmother’s cable provider doesn’t offer OWN (gggrrrr) I’ve been following the shows online. My fav so far is Master Class-her first guess was JayZ. I was becoming more dumb downed every minute watching reality shows on TV-this network is a great alternative!
- TDL -A couple of my resolutions or goals for this year were to start my day of with positive information and affirmations. The Daily Love provides me with both! I receive their emails which include empowering thoughts and affirmations that fit the day. I’m becoming more and more self approved daily! (And since my friend made it the year of love, it works out perfectly!)
- TED- In keeping with number 2, another morning activity is to start my day with positive programming. My morning routine can be arduous but it helps me maintain a sense of peace and calm throughout the day. Instead of flipping on the morning news which is full of doom, gloom and despair, I reach for my iPhone and click on the TED app. TED is a site full of great talks by amazing people. They are organized by topic or you can search by person. I love the site and the app.
- 2 Cent TV- Throughout the day at work, I often find myself in need of a pick me up. I love love love to laugh so I go to 2 Cent for super funny video clips. Their parody of Kanye’s good Christmas was super cute but their take on To Catch a Predator w/Eddie Long was inappropriately hilarious!
- Ted Williams redemption – One of my fav spiritual movies is Conversations With God. Its a pretty cool story about how a man who had his life together lost everything and had to start back over. While this journey unfolded he began to hear from God. Well this week news broke of a similar story. Ted Williams was apparently homeless in Ohio but had an amazing voice. Someone videotaped him and put it on YouTube, catching a buzz. Long story short, he was able to get a job and offers for help with housing and financing came through. I love stories of redemption. We all fall short sometimes. We all have great talents and gifts. This story was a great mixture of both.
And there you have it, my FaveFive for the week
Oooohhhhhwwwweeeee! My first First Fav Five on the new blog…here we go!
- The Gym-Yes you heard it here. Ms. “I can not stand the gym” has fallen in love with the gym. Its more the idea of having a goal and sticking with it than anything. I’ve been consistently working out all month. The first week of October, I tried at home options that didn’t quite go so well. I joined the gym the second week and am loving it. I’m so pleased at how far I can push myself. Everyday I find out I can do a little more than I thought and that rocks! My recent discovery brings me to No. 2…
- Spin Class-
Back in law school, the student rec center offered a spin class. My pal DeeDee and I went for a couple of times and liked it but the class got canceled. I decided to try a class at my gym. It was awesomely intense and I made it through the entire class. True enough I didn’t go full out but it was a great start! I plan to go every week since it is the only weekday class that accommodates my work schedule. I’m challenging myself that in four weeks I’ll be able to do it full out! I will say this whole gym movement is made easier by finding folk who are on the same thing as I am. My blogspiration kay* started a 6 week challenge I’m participating in and my college chum Jeff Williams started a fitness movement for folk over 30. My girl Robin is blogging about healthy food options and my friend DeeDee is training for a marathon. I’ve got tons of support with this so that makes it so much easier!
- Samantha Beaulieu-I had the pleasure of meeting this ingenue back in my L.A. days. I took notice when I first met her because her accent reminded me of home. When I moved back to NOLA, she happened to be in town working on a show. We hang as much as we can, but the busy young actress is usually shooting a movie or starring in a play. This weekend is no exception as she stars in “Ceremonies in Dark Old Men” in New Orleans. This is the last weekend of the show so if you’re in the city, get to know one of my favorite up and comers! Check out what Brian Sands said of her performance in the show…
Samantha Beaulieu followed up her forceful performance in The Madwoman of Chaillot with an equally forceful one, but unlike her corrupt President, her Adele was a naturally decent woman frustrated by family members who don’t pull their weight. After the money started coming in, her transformation into an attractively dressed and coiffed woman was cheering which made her ultimate undoing all the more saddening.
- Halloween-This is one of my fav holidays because I love dress up (not dressing up but dressing in character!). Last year’s Halloween plans fizzled-I had to work and by the time I got to the designated area, I had miss the festivities Luckily I ran into an incredibly awesome guy that let me buy him a drink and tell him my troubles….siiiigggghhhh. Anyway, this year will be different. I’m gonna wear my same costume, just amped up a bit-found those lace bike tights that evaded me last year:)
And no need to worry about missing the party-I a special guest at a super fab one with an open bar and band! YEAH! So I’m channeling my inner Material Girl and looking forward to an awesome time tomorrow night!
- MY NEW SITE!!!! Of course that’s on the list of my fave things of the week!!! I love love love my new spot on the web! I hope you’ll come to love it to! Please follow my blog on the right.
Oooohhhhhwwwweeee it is Friday!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!! Here’s my top five of the week:
- October – I absolutely love the month of October! The weather starts to cool off after a hot summer and night begins to come earlier. Football is in gear and basketball practices get under way. Because the weather is so nice, I can sport sandals one day, boots the next. Ahhhh I love October!!!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – A while ago I heard that Fergie drinks apple cider vinegar to lose weight. Without getting the entire story, I went out, bought a bottle and tried to gulp it down as often as possible. It was gross and after two days I quit. This week I ran across a more detailed article about the vinegar. It said to mix the vinegar with water and drink it throughout the day for a multitude of health benefits (and apparently it does help with the weight loss and better skin!). I’m enjoying the apple cider vinegar quite a bit!
- “As A Man Thinketh” by James Allen- This was a small but powerful book! I really enjoyed it. “Circumstance does not make the man, it reveals him to himself,” was a quote that really touched me from the book.
- Matthew LaCorte – These days a lot of people say they support things and are willing to fight for them. Click here to read about 17 year old Matthew LaCorte’s efforts to get the album of his favorite rapper released.
- You Tube – YouTube provides so much valuable information…but some of the videos are HILARIOUS. Check out my fav from this week!
I must say that this has been an awesome week full of great things/new experiences-so much so that narrowing this week’s top five was tough…but I was able to get them in no problems!
- EYE DEE KAY:
This year I got to work with Kourtney Heart, a 17-year old singer/songwriter from New Orleans. I got to work closely with her and her manager to come up with her PR campaign. One night I had a conversation with she and her mom that made me go home and start getting my priorities in order. At 16, she told me how singing was her purpose and how she’d started off singing songs about things she was passionate about (for instance, she remixed Irreplaceable into a stop smoking song). She was so focused that I was glad to be a part of her team. This week her first EP was released via iTunes. It’s a concept piece that tells the story of a young girl dealing with love. It’s so funny because the songs really take me back-”Wish I Were Older” makes me feel just like I did in the 10th grade when I was digging this boy that was too old (and all wrong in retrospect) but at the time I just knew he was the one. Kourtney’s future is very bright and I’m happy I got to work with her at the beginning of her career. I’m adding her to my list of “I knew them when” folk but from the music standpoint, if you like catchy pop tunes that take you back to when you were younger, check out EYE DEE KAY on iTunes.
- BlueBell Moo-lineum Crunch: I don’t buy ice cream very often but I went to the grocery store w/my Granny who encourages my indulgence when it comes to food. We got a gallon of the creamy goodness with bits of chocolate, caramel, walnuts and almonds. So so good!
- Time w/Dominick:
My little cousin Dominick had his first flag football game last week and it was hilarious! He’s in kindergarten so he and his teammates just get out there and have fun. They run yards and yard in the wrong direction, make plays that aren’t in any playbook anywhere and they get so emotionally invested…for about 2 minutes at a time! It was so funny! Then on Sunday he came over after church and we got to hang out a bit. He’s very moody so he’s not always up for conversation with me but this weekend we had a ball (could be that McDonald’s I bought him after the game but hey!).
- For Colored Girls trailer: I’m a fan of Tyler Perry, period point blank. And I’m really excited for his new adaptation. All these talented African-American women…EXCITING!
- All I Want Is You: I’ve been hearing this song on the radio for the last couple of weeks. It’s so mellow and laid back, reminds me of Mario Winans on those Diddy/Usher songs a few years back. Makes me want to put on a cute dress and go sit a bar somewhere! Enjoy:
Sigh…it’s been one of those weeks. I can tell 7500 million things I despised this week but luckily, the focus of this is 5 things I loved this week. So without further ado…
- 4-Day Work Weeks: Thanks to Labor Day on Monday, this was a short, 4-day workweek. I’m happy about that. I can not wait for tomorrow. I’m getting up going to my cousin’s flag football game, making a conference call at 1 then doing absolutely NO THING for the rest of the day! I’m gonna get lost in The Wire season 3 and the life of Dorian Gray. Can. Not. Wait.
- Cetaphil: As per above, my face has been breaking out. I think the villain this time is my unbeweavable hair and the lack of a great skin care routine. I’ve begun one that seems pretty basic that I’ve read about in many fashion mags. I am using Cetaphil for my cleansing and moisturizing (of course w/SPF for the daytime) and witch hazel as a toner. I do a deep mask once a week and a deep exfoliation once a week (still use the cetaphil for the exfoliation-I just use these exfoliating cloths from Sephora).
- Willow Smith: I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth…ahhh that song has grown on me!
- Southwest Airlines: Back in the day I used to SWEAR by Southwest. I love love love a cheap getaway with easy ways to earn free flight. I haven’t been traveling much (at all) lately so when I had to book a flight to Houston for my best friend from law school’s wedding, I went straight to their site. DING! I got it for the lo lo lo!!! YAY!!!
- OPI’s You’re A Pisa Work: I think my favorite blogger *kay had mentioned this one a long long time ago. But when she did I was on dark shades. Well, this week I was on bright colors and tried it. LOVE IT! Perfect shade of loud pink for my toes!!!
(NOTE: Can’t believe I didn’t press PUBLISH POST on Friday!!! Sorry for delay.)
As you know from my many rants on SEX AND THE CITY, I did not have HBO for a long period of time. When I did get it, THE WIRE was well into its third or fourth season and whenever I attempted to watch I just couldn’t get into it. Well good ‘ole Netflix changed that for me. I absolutely LOVE this show. This week I started season 3 (of 5) and I’m so stoked. I can tell already that this season is going to be pivotal. Great acting, great casting, WONDERFUL storytelling/writing: I LOVE THIS SHOW!
- Rick Ross’ TEFLON DON:
I love music and have no particular favorite genre. Currently stuck in my CD player because whenever I take it out, I feel it petitioning to get back in, is Rick Ross’ TEFLON DON. I was getting my hair done and my friend/hairstylist Dana Chanel was playing it-instantly fell in love with it. Great beats, nice lyrics. LOVE IT. So laid back!
- HOME COOKED Meals: I got a new 6-month gig 20 miles away from my hometown so I decided to move in w/my granny. There’s always something to eat at her house. I have to be mindful of the portions but I love the option of having a substantiate meal at home when I get there. And it’s helping me with my budget too! (I spend A LOT on eating out.)
- BEING INKED:
I love love love tats but made myself a promise after my first that I’d not become addicted and only get new ones when there was something major. Considering I feel like I’m a totally different person than I was a year ago, I got one to commemorate my new birth I put it on top of my little infinity symbol to signify that I can have infinite rebirths-love it!!! And the artist was really cool and seemed to dig my idea for the next one so I’ll see him soon!
- PIN CURLS:
My stylist swears by pin curls. She talks about pin curling her hair so much that one night when we were hanging out she whipped out her stuff and pin curled her hair. She did mine and the next day my curls were so much bouncer than when I curl my hair in the morning. I imitate the way she does it and have even figured out cutesy ways to wear my hair to work pin curled (so that when I get off, I’ll be that much closer to my desired look). The folk at work go crazy over it pinned up-they think it looks so retro!
So what stood out to you this week? Any fave fives?